CRAP.
I didn't get the memo that TODAY was the 'exchange' of presents for the teacher. So here is Evie going - MOMMY - TODAY is the day we need to bring presents for Miss Stephanie! And I am like - what, where, how? Embarrassed and feeling about the size of a flea.
I of course had no idea; nada. And funnily enough - I HAVE been thinking about what to get her - but wasn't planning on getting the gift until NEXT week - seeing as every free moment I have is devoted to the other 10K things I have to do today and this weekend and then the run up to Christmas. I mean - I even had to resort to begging for someone to wrap my Christmas gifts (and I am paying of course). Because I really am THAT busy.
But not really a good excuse for a 4 year old who is watching her dear teacher revel in the pile of treasure bestowed by her other students.
So - here is the thing - where is the rule book for first time parents of small children?
I figured that the kids who 'got' it were the ones with either teachers for moms or with older, school-aged siblings. Because I didn't have a farking clue. I thought I was 'ahead' of the game by giving out Christmas cards to her teachers and her friends. I mean we still have a week until Christmas people.
So I asked her teacher if she was going on vacation next week and she said no - damn she is seriously the sweetest lady ever - and I plan on giving her her gift next week.
I just hope it doesn't seem like an 'after-thought' kind of thing.
Elementary School is going to KILL me. I swear.
So - just to add to the growing list of areas where I SUCK at being a mom:
1. Missed her school 'program' last year because no one told us there was one.
2. We are missing it THIS year because they told us too late and we had already made plans.
3. Apparently today was pajama day too.
4. The gift debacle.
5. Many more things to count.

I think the PTA moms might be pre-blocking out my cut out so that they can taunt it at ALL of the meetings next year. Thankfully I won't know - because the odds of me BEING on the PTA are pretty slim.
Oh the joys of the working, clueless mother.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't work (except this year) and I always forget things like this... ALL the time. And even better? I usually don't care. lol. Tell Miss E she'll feel even more special when she gives her gift later and everyone else's gift is forgotten!! :) Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteHow are you supposed to know about things if they don't tell you? That seems so weird!
ReplyDelete