Monday, February 14, 2011

Bitter Batter with a bit of bitter butter



Meh.


Yeah that kinds sums up Valentine's Day for me. I GET it - but I don't want to participate. Does that make me a BAD person? Dan and I made each other SWEAR that we were not getting something for each other today. After being together almost 11 years - I get a little irritated that ONE DAY must sum up how much I love my life and soulmate. I mean - really. 


Because you know - the 10,000 times I give you a hug and tell you I love despite the fact that you just pissed me off not two seconds ago - no - that obviously doesn't count as love.


Or the millionth time I have done something for you just because I know it would make you happy. Nope. So not cutting it.


Let's not forget the little love notes I leave scrawled on the shower wall or the 'just because' beers I buy. I can't POSSIBLY love you.


BUT - I buy you a cheesy, red and pink present and give it to you on a day that is manufactured - well hell yeah - NOW I love you.


I purposefully went out of my way to go out to an extravagant Valentine's Day dinner with you and was shoehorned in with all of the other cattle - well hot-damn - that really shows my love and devotion, eh?


Over the years - Dan and I have tried (very unsuccessfully I might add) to have elaborate romantic nights out to celebrate our love, etc, etc. And each one tends to fall miserably and lamely short of our expectations. So this year - we are giving Evie a little gift and forgetting today is Valentine's Day. We are going to go to a movie next Monday on President's Day instead as OUR Valentine's Day. 


Why should I celebrate a day that only instills fear and loathing into just about every single person on the planet and elicits groans and grumbles from the married?


Who exactly gets a rush and high from Valentine's day? 15 year popular girls? 


I'm just sayin.

No comments:

Post a Comment