Saturday, May 30, 2009

2521 2006-09-11 14:15:00 2006-09-11 19:19:17 Things are starting to slow down just a bit


Sorry I have been so absent lately - things have been hectic to say the least. We have finally hosted all of the family guests we will have for the year. I'm sad to see them go -but glad to get my house back. I haven't had the opportunity to take care of my own house for over 17 weeks - and well - it shows. It shows in that everyone who visited had thier ideas of where things go and did the best they could - but I am still searching for things because I don't know where they were put. Like some pillow cases - and the basket to my salad spinner. LOL

We took Evie to the Nuerosurgeon and she said that everything looks great. We are doing a CAT scan in 6 months as she doesn't want to expose Evie to too much radiation at such a small age as she would probably find something now and would rerun the tests in 6 months anyway. She said that that appointment will probably be the last with her as Evie looks and acts perfectly. After being in the Children's Hospital part of Medical City Dallas and seeing TRULY handicapped children - I feel very blessed and humbled to have a child as perfect as Evie. There were children there with horrible, disfiguring injuries. It was awful. My eyes tear up just thinking of them.

Last night we had our first 'medical drama' with Evie. I have been dreading ANYTHING happening - anything. I have read the Medical Emergency Section of What to Expect the First Year - and well - it scared the crap out of me. So last night - Dan picked Evie  up a little too fast and up came her formula - through her nose and right into her eyes (which were open).

The formula was nice and curdled and full of stomach acid. At the time Dan freaked out and we rinsed out her eyes as best we could and then laid her down for a nap as she was so tired. An hour later I get her up - and her left eye is full of green gook and very red. Now 'I' freak. I try to wipe it away and then she opens her eye and a large string of green gook goes from the top eyelid to the bottom eyelid right across her eye. Her top and bottom inner lids were coated with it. I rush her over to the sink and get a wet papertowel and try to get some of it out. Dan and I got in a fight as I was freaked out and freaked him out.

I ended up calling the on-call nurse who assured me I wasn't nuts for calling her and told me what to look out for. Thankfully we got it all out of her eye and it seems there is no damage - but I was really worried. I was worried that my laizes faire (sp) style of parenting would cause permanent damage to her eye by way of stomach acid. *sighs*. She is good - but I DON'T function well in 'emergency' situations that involve my child. Everyone else - sure - myself - yeah - my child - Nope.

I've been staying away from the comp lately because it seems to suck so much time -and right now time is a precious commodity. I am playing with Evie as much as I can during her awake times and playing catch up during her down times. And of course I am trying to get some sleep in there too. LOL

I'm going to start a Tuesday night sewing class later this month. 6 weeks to learn how to sew. I am very excited. I know how to hand sew and well - but no one has had the patience to teach me how to sew with a machine seeing as I am left-handed. I have a machine - just no earthly knowledge of how to use it. I really want to learn because I am sure I could make some seriously rocking stuff.

Having a baby really forces you to rearrange your priorities. Things that were so enjoyable to me - and still are take second, third - sometimes last place now. Its all part of the growing up process isn't it? Parents really do put thier kids first - and I am no exception. So on that note - if I tend to be scarce or I don't note - it isn't out of lack of love - just lack of time.

Love ya'll.

jen

public 0 2626 2006-09-11 14:55:00 2006-09-11 19:59:39 More things a New Mommy Needs to Know


(Update entry thatem way <--- )

In the name of new mommyhood - I feel it imperative to share a few more of my 'Must Haves' for new mommies and daddies.

1. Have a changing pad, diapers, wipes and diaper rash cream in EVERY room that you plan to spend any real amount of time. For us that equates to 4 rooms. And trust me - it has been a lifesaver on more than one occasion. I have a 'triage' center in our bedroom (where she sleeps and does a lot of her playing); downstairs family room; her nursery and the media room (upstairs). There is NOTHING worse than trying to find a diaper, wipe and a place to lay a wailing wet or shite covered baby.

2. Carry everything you think you will ever need in the diaper bag - including a snack for mommy. This would include - a changing pad, wipes, diapers, plastic bags to dispose of things when you say - like change the baby on the front car seat; two outfits, 3-4 burp cloths (trust me), a nasal aspirator (also trust me on this one), hand santizer, formula, bottle with water for mixing, etc. Also - don't be afraid to let it be a surrogate purse - it is way easier to just carry the one bag than a purse AND the bag.

3. The car seat fits very conveniently in the grocery/shopping cart. Just put it with the baby facing TOWARD you - the little clip in the back that attaches to car seat base also clasps over the wire part of the cart. (Sadly - it was a worker at Babies R'Us who had to point this out to me when I had the carseat perched precariously 'sideways' in the seat part of the cart and all of the other mothers looking at me like I am nuts).

4. Have a bulb or nasal aspirator available in every room you will spend any amount of time in. This also goes for burp clothes as well. And it is good to have swaddling blankets in every place you will put the baby down to sleep in as they help in a pinch.

5. If you can swing it - save your outings with baby for the first couple of months for when you have someone along. It is WAY easier to go and change a baby, feed them, etc with someone there to help you.

6. Have more thank you notes and stamps on hand than you think you will need.

7. Those baby mirror things - fantastic. Baby loves to talk to him/herself.

8. These books are must have for a new parent: Baby MInds: Brain Building Games Baby Will Love  ; What to Expect the First Year ; How Smart Is Your Baby?: Develop And Nurture Your Newborn's Full Potential ; The Cat in the Hat

9. If your baby doesn't want to take a pacifier - try, try again. Once Evie started to take one (I worked diligently with her one night to take one as she would only suck on my finger and it was 2am - since then my life is MUCH easier and joyful). You can wean them later - it really does settle them down.

10. If you are a super type A personality such as myself - learn to accept the fact that for the time being - your life will never be as organized as it once was. Convenience rules the day - like Bertolli Meals for Two - as well as Pasta Salad with imitation crab and Frozen dinners for lunch. Oh and covet your caffeine - it will help you get what little you can get done - done.

11. Last but not least for this addition - sign up for as many online baby sites that send newsletters as you can - when you have a few minutes and don't want to read a whole book but want to take some time to bone up on where your child should be developmentally or where YOU should be mentally - these little emails are true gems. Here are some great sites: babycenter.com, enfamil.com, clubmom.com, pregnancyweekly.com, baby.com, huggieshappybaby.com, birth.com.au

Ok - that is all for now - little miss princess is waking up.

Toodles.

jen

public 0 2875 2006-09-12 09:53:00 2006-09-12 15:11:24

 


Some of you asked what kind of 'Brain Activities' I do with Evie on a daily basis - here is a list I have FINALLY put together so that I, myself, can track it. (It is suggested in the How Smart is Your Baby book). This is for those that are interested - if you aren't - just disregard - I won't be offended. =) [This is actually in an excel spreadsheet - but it didn't translate well here] –part 1

 

                                                                                                 

The Sensory Program for Profile Stage 1                    

                                                                                                 

Daily Checklist

                                                                                                 

Visual Competence:                                                                    

                                                                                                 

Stimulating the light reflex: 10x daily for approx. 60 seconds

                                                                                                 

Total Time: 10 Minutes                                                                 

                                                                                                 

Auditory Competence:                                                                

                                                                                                 

Stimulating the Startle Reflex: 10x daily for 10 seconds

                                                                                                 

Total Time: 1 Minute and 40 Seconds                                            

                                                                                                 

Tactile Competence:                                                                   

                                                                                                 

Stimulating the Babinski Reflex: 10x daily for 30 seconds

                                                                                                 

Total Time: 5 Minutes                                                                   

                                                                                                 

                                                                                                   

The Motor Program for Profile Stage 1                         

                                                                                                 

Daily Checklist                                                         

Mobility Opportunity

                                                                                                 

Opportunity to movearms and legs in the prone position:

Inclined Track: 10x daily for 10 to 30 seconds                             

                                                                                                 

Total Time: 1 Minute 30 seconds to 5 Minutes                               

                                                                                                 

Flat Track: 3 to 4 hours daily                                                       

                                                                                                 

Total Time Today:                                                                      

                                                                                                   

                                                                                                 

Language Opportunity                                                                

                                                                                                 

Maximum Opportunity to move in the prone position to improve

respiration, which makes it easier to make sounds.                      

                                                                                                 

Manual Opportunity                                                                    

                                                                                                 

Opportunity to use the grasp reflex:                                            

10x daily for 10 seconds, working up to 60 seconds                    

                                                                     

Total Time: 1 Minute 40 seconds to 10 Minutes                              

                                                                                                 

Balance Activities                                                                       

                                                                                                 

Opportunity to move through space in a variety of ways.

Note: 1 activity done per session                                                

15 different sessions daily, working up to 45 seconds each

                                                                                                 

Total Time: Up to 11 minutes and 15 seconds                             

                                                                                                 

1. Carrying baby around                                                               

2. Moving from side to side                                                         

3. Rocking with baby in lap                                                           

4. Rocking side to side                                                                

5. Rocking front to back                                                               

6. Accelerate front to back                                                           

7. Accelerate side to side                                                             

8. Rotation prone, clockwise                                                         

9. Rotation prone, counterclockwise                                              

10. Horizontal rotation, on left side                                               

11. Horizontal rotation, on right side                                              

12. Horizontal rotation, prone                                                        

13. Life baby up and down                                                           

14. Roll baby back to belly, both directions                                   

15. Trot around house with baby                                                   

                                                                                                 

Duration of each activity:                                                           

                                                                                                          

Changes Noted Today:                                                                

                                                                     

Date:                                                                                           

Source: How Smart is Your Baby - Develop and Nurture Your  Newborn's Full Potential; Glenn and Janet Doman

public 0 3130 2006-09-12 10:12:00 2006-09-12 15:21:12 For those who asked - Baby Daily Activities Log-2

Problem Solving - Age 0-6 Months                                     Contingency Challenge - Mobile Manipulation with Ribbon
Duration of Activity:                                                                                    




Imitation Game - Face Recognition & Mimicry                      

Duration of Activity:                                          

Puppet Theater for forcasting (circular problem solving)                                         

Duration of Activity:                                          

Memory - Age 0-6 Months                                             
Memory - sensory (different environments, experiences)

 

Sights (varied)

Sounds (varied)

Smells (varied)                                                                         

Textures (varied)

Pictures (varied - babies, animals, colors, etc)

Duration of Activity:

Scripting of Past Events - autobiographical memory

Duration of Activity:

 

Baby Signs and First Words - Age 0-6 Months

Baby Signs - rudimentary (bye-bye, yes, no, more, cat, dog, bottle)

Duration of Activity:

Talking with baby - Conversational language (imitation of sounds)

Duration of Activity:

 

Narration of Events

Duration of Activity:

Letters, Rhymes, Reading - Age 0-6 Months

Reading Books - Cadence, repetition, rhyming

Duration of Activity:                                                            


Compare and Contrast - pictures of 2 favorite characters (pg: 113)

Duration of Activity:

 

Rhyming - lullabies; rhyming mobile (pg 118)

Duration of Activity:

 

Counting (Math) - Age 0-6 Months

Groupings- 1-3 and 5-6 (pg 139)

Tickle Game                                                                               

Raspberries

Bouncing                                                                                   

Rattles

swinging

puppet

Duration of Activity:

 

Imagination Play - Age 0-6 Months

Giggle Games - what makes baby laugh (pg 173)

Duration of Activity:

 

Changes Noted Today:

Date:                                                                                           



Source: Baby Minds - Brain Games  Building 
Your Baby Will Love - Linda Acredolo, Ph.D. and Susan Goodwyn, Ph.D.

 

 


public 0 3580 2006-09-19 11:07:00 2006-09-19 16:11:19 I sing the virtues of Mylicon


Last night was trying. Very trying. To the point that I cried as well. Evie had a hurty tummy and there was nothing we could do to help her. For over 2 hours. Two hours of blood curdling, how could you be doing this to me, horrific crying. It was the cry that all mothers dread - it was that - something is hurting me - please help me, please help me - please - oh God - help me.

Finally - after those two hours of Dan and I snarling at each other over our horribly distraught daughter - I sent him down to the kitchen to retrieve the first medicine we would give Evie. It was time to try out the Mylicon. There was our little, usually unbelievably sweet baby on my lap - screaming - her eyes swollen from the tears. I put the dropper in her mouth - pushed in the Mylicon. Instant and total stoppage of crying. Thirty seconds later she passed out from exhaustion and slept until 2 - she fussed a bit -I gave her her binky - back out until 4a. Poor baby. She is now back to her amazingly wonderful self. So I bow to you oh Mylicon and mommy will never, NEVER let Evie's formula sit for even a minute too long again.

Yesterday was trying for other reasons as well. We had the Early Childhood Intervention evaluation to judge whether Evie was a candidate for the program. Basically it is a state run program that will meet with you each week and provide speech, motor, etc therapy to children who are behind for whatever reason. Honestly - in the back of mind I figured I would put her in the program because it was pre-emptive and would only HELP her - but that she didn't really need it. At least that is what I thought until yesterday. Sighs. Apparently she is a bit atypical in her development. She isn't holding her head up enough ('I' think she is) and she is still not tracking well with her eyes or turning towards noises (which I knew).

Some of the things she did, or didn't do at the evaulation is I am sure because there were 4 strange women she had never met before playing with her. She hasn't had a whole lot of exposure to ppl outside of Dan and I since she was born. Now they DID say that she barely qualified and it was more MY choice of whether or not I wanted her in the program - but it was still a shock. I KNOW that the odds are REALLY high that she will have some problems - but as her mommy - I really, truly believed that not only was she fine - but she had and would defy all medical logic and be perfect - hell BETTER than perfect. She IS my daughter you know.

Of course I paid VERY close attention to her later yesterday and she performed all of those things they didn't notice at the eval for me. I think it is the comfort thing. She only tracks things and turns towards noises that INTEREST her. She refuses to be a performing monkey -so I say - hey - that is ok baby.

She also was talking up a storm yesterday! It was so awesome. We had several very satisfying conversations with lots of laughs and smiles. I would ask her a question and pause and she would fill in the space with her sweet, adorable little coos and sighs. Very gratifying for both of us. Sometimes she even tries to sing. Of course she loves to converse with her new friend. She is totally and utterly enamoured with a mini- Pooh. She adores Pooh. Pooh now peers at her from above in her bassinet. She will alternate between the mirror on one side - talking to the baby in the mirror - to the other side to gaze in adoration and love at Pooh. I love finding out what interests her. Usually it is something I would never have picked for her. Oh and her favorite book is Cat in the Hat - so more Suess is on its way to the house via Amazon.

Oh and yesterday's kicker? - Mother nature is sometimes pretty damn cruel - that time of the month that I dreaded before pregnancy - well - its back - and with a vengeance. Not even a month. Damn mother nature. *shakes fist*.

And oh - thank you guys for your votes - Princess Leia won out over all of the places I posted to ask for votes. (Plus Dan really loves it)! I will be posting pics of course!!

public 0 3713 2006-09-25 16:59:00 2006-09-25 21:59:50 Its Just Over 2 Months Now (image heavy)

 

 


 

(Mommy's Screen Saver Picture)

Hi there little girl - you are now 2 months old and some change. I know I am a bit behind on this - hence the icon above. I know that I am bound to give you some juicy discussion materials for therapy one day. That is what mothers are for. Fathers too - but so far your daddy has been good. I know he will slip up one day; and when he does - I will make sure that you remember it so that your therapist knows you come from a good, balanced family.

(You and Daddy Sleeping together)

In fact, right now, daddy is your favorite parent. Should I really be surprised? And when I say favorite - I mean he is the one you save a lot of your laughs and smiles for. Gee - thanks. I am pretty sure it is because daddy isn't the one that is making you work all day at gaining good head control and motor skills. You really hate that tummy time crap and you make sure I know it. I also think that you equate shots with mommy. Now there is NOTHING I can do about this - but just know I cry as much as you do at those things.

(Evidence that you cry -see the T-shirt? I love this one. It fits you so perfectly)

Friday was your two month birthday AND your two month doctor's visit - which meant 2 month vaccinations - which meant 4 shots and an oral dose of Rotavirus stuff. Good God - thank heavens your daddy was there. It was pretty traumatic. You tensed up your little thighs so hard that you bled all over your diaper and the nurse. It was hard seeing your blood smeared all of your wailing little body. I mean - see how traumatic it was for me? I am making it seem much worse than it is to convey the drama of that moment to you. That is what good mothers do. We remind you of the horrors we lived through in regards to you. I am not currently using it as a guilt thing - but don't you worry - I will at some point in the future.

(One of the many beautiful little outfits you got as gifts. You have better clothes than mommy. Mommy even ironed this for you. She doesn't even iron her own or daddy's clothes.)

After we left the doctor (where he said you were doing great in the growth department - 10.9lbs and 22 inches for the record) - you were cashed out so mommy took you to Joann's fabric store. Oh yeah - I am taking a sewing class so one day I can pass on how to make your own clothing - purses - decorative accessories to share with your friends. In this class I am making you a kimono type dress - and what that REALLY means is a trendy little dress that ties at the side and is 'asian inspired' in design. Here I go and watch Project Runway and now I can design clothes. Ha. That first class was just the overview and terms class. I was lost. I had to ask questions several times. But I am tangenting again. At Joann's I wandered around like a woman lost - with my list of supplies clutched tightly in my fist as you slept away in the car seat. At one point I stopped a lady shopping who looked like she knew what she was doing and asked her to help me find bias tape or something like that. I am afraid of what your dress will look like kid - but I am trying. Anything beyond hand sewing is beyond me.

(Some trendy outfits mommy bought for you as she is getting sick of pink)

So - after 2 hours of wandering around the store - I decide it is time for mommy lunch - not realizing that you haven't eaten since 730 am and that your diaper hasn't been changed since 930a. Thiswas a problem I am will forever regret as I know you held it against me for 2 days. I know because you didn't talk to me, smile at me - LOOK at me until I appologized. (you are already the master of the guilt trip at 2 months little girl- you make a momma proud).

(Another pic from today's photo shoot)

As I was driving over to the busiest section of town with LOTS of construction to feed your now shaking mommy (it was 1p by now - yes I know - I am the world's worst mother) - you woke up - screaming. Horrible - gut wrenching screams of pain and anguish. I pulled into a parking spot and got out to give you your binky to see if it could hold you over for 20 minutes. Uhm - no. So here was my dilemma and you tell me if you wouldn't have done the same thing. It is 98 degrees out - we are in a busy parking lot. I can't leave the car running and jump into the backseat to feed you as there is no way for me to climb from the backseat into the front seat. This leaves us only one option - and that is to leave the doors unlocked allowing ANYONE to carjack us. So that doesn't work. Option 2 has mommy propped very uncomfortably and precariously on the center console in a weird contortion to hold the bottle in your mouth. Again - not really working. I can't, of course turn the car off - as it would bake us both alive. So our only option is # 3 - where mommy takes you from the back seat into the front seat and pushes the seat back as far as it will go with a car seat behind it. (and as we both know - that is not far) - and feed you in the parking lot in my lap as people stare at us and call me Britney Spears trash under thier breath.

(The little boy outfit from Target that you mommy just LOVES -so she makes you wear it)

Of course I choose option 3 and wonder WHY I went back on my own good advice of going out without your daddy in tow. The feeding only works so far - you are still wailing and I realize I need to change you. But how? I can't reach over to the passenger side of the front as the console is too massive. I can't change in the driver's seat with me outside as the geriatric van load of people that parked next to that didn't leave me room to do so and besides I feel sketchy about exposing your bottom to the world. Of course that leaves out every other door of the car. So my only option is to plop you back into the carseat - put your binky in your mouth - which you spit out in 5 seconds flat - jump back into the car - look longingly at the Chik'fil'A drivethrough and try to get you home as fast as I can considering Frisco traffic is absolute hell and worse then hell at the particular intersection of Preston and 121 where Chik'fil'A is located.

(Your Daddy and I went and had Sushi for the first time since you were born - and drank Saki. There you are in the background)

When I get you home - I did put ALL of my needs aside like eating and having to pee to see yours first. I fed you, changed you and rocked you to a stupor. I even took your temperature as you were so warm. I then gave you a small dose of Children's Tylenol (PER the doctor- I didn't take ANY chances little girl) and then got you into bed. I THEN did what I needed to do. And I will have you know that that was around 230p. I am just stating it for the record. I know that you held it against me and thought I was the world's worst mother - but I really wasn't. Honest. I am just learning how to do this too you know.

(The only binky you will take - and its from the grocery store no less)

And as to the tummy time and head holding business - that is because the ECI people AND your pediatrician said that you are a bit delayed in the head control area. You are also delayed in the tracking objects and turning towards sounds arena. But on those two accounts I think it really is lack of focus. You can do both of those quite well as long as it is something you REALLY are interested in. You choose what interests you. Of course it never happens when someone else is looking - including daddy so he thinks he has made some amazing discovery when you do it for HIM. You so know how to play him. Ah well. That is part of being a girl, isn't it?

(Who could resist you? I am entering this one into a baby photo contest. If you win - you will earn your keep. *kidding - sort of*)

I can say though - that when you don't think anyone is looking - I see how much you love your mommy. You laugh for me. You smile for me. You even talk TO me. But on Friday and Saturday, until I appologized - you would do ANYTHING to avoid me - even close your eyes if I got right in your line of sight. And of course I got worried - I worried that maybe so many shots did some damage. (mommy's are allowed to worry about everything you know). BUT - as soon as I put you down in your bassinet out of frustration - you struck up a gay old conversation with the baby in the mirror and your precious pooh. You were laughing - out loud - hard and gabbing away like you were hosting a margarita party. Then I knew - you were just pissed off at me. So after you had your little party - I took you aside and had a long heart- to - heart with you. I appologized for wronging you and causing you heartache and pain.

(One of the torture devices I use on you. Actually - what it does is you figure out that YOU are ringing the bell and moving the mobile and you figure out which limb is doing it - its a puzzle. Once you figure it out -I switch on you to make you think harder!)

And you know what you did? You looked me in the eyes and smiled.

(This is your sleep dance)

(cutie)

(You're thinking about it - damn bell)

(Your play gym!)

(Proof you are my kid - just look at that sly grin)

(Baby in a basket - or rather car seat - basket sounds cuter though)

(Look how small you are. Each month I am going to take you picture with this bear and see your progress)

(Who loves ya baby? - Momma does)

(PS - yes I know that my spelling and grammar suck - but I only had 3 hours sleep en total last night - so well - yeah )

public 0

No comments:

Post a Comment