Dear Not so little one,
It's been a year. You are a very big, very sweet, very 'definitely my kid' - one. Part of me is in awe that we both made it this far and that part of me fights back the tears; granted they are tears of joy; but tears nonetheless. You MADE it. Not only did you make it - but you thrived. That small part of me that feared that you would be cruelly snatched from me by some horrible fate has relaxed quite a bit now. I know it is because it was such a hard, hard entry into the world - but you proved all of those naysaying doctors wrong. And nothing makes me more proud kid. Bucking the system and the odds before the age of one. If that doesn't make you my kid - I don't know what does.

This last month has been one of nasty colds and hurting teeth - for both of us. Your mommy had a nasty abscessed tooth that made her sick and you continue to teeth - and I am so sorry to even THINK it - but I'm afraid you might have the same horrible teeth problems I have. Teething has been really rough on you - but you are a trooper.

On top of the nasty toofies - you caught a nasty, nasty cold that I got too. We both cough, sniffled, fevered and laid around in general maliase together. And it has been tough to kick too. We are both still coughing and swallowing copious amounts of nastiness - but at least you didn't get a sinus infection like mama. One small blessing in that. Your mama even had a lovely jawbone implant this month - so we have both been eating food of the same consistency. I think you kinda dug that - as I made you eat food 'I' would actually eat as well (since I was making it for myself'. Not that eating more has helped you gain any weight. You are still skinny as a rail and topped the charts Thursday at your one year doctor's appointment at a svelte 18.6 lbs. That puts you in the 10% for weight. But you made up for it in height at a very healthy 29 inches. That puts you in the 50-75%. That's my girl.

I think you stay so thin because now that you have realized that mobility allows you to go anywhere you want (barring the 'cages' we stick you in) - you never stop moving. You only stop when you drop - and then that is usually only to sleep. We have learned how to change your diaper and feed you on the run. The diaper changes have been quite interesting. There are many a times that you are scampering around sans 'pants' because you just cannot be bothered with the whole 'sitting still thing'. Although it is highly frustrating at times - it still makes me laugh. There are few toys that make you squirm less - and thankfully the bunny below is one of them. We only bring it out as a last resort as we don't want the magic of the bunny to wear off.

This month also saw your first haircut. It was done by mommy - and you can tell from the pictures. But, in my defense, trying to cut your hair is like trying to bottle lightening. It had to be done too. You had this ONE lock of hair that kept getting in your eyes and you were rubbing your eyes so much and just getting pissy that I took the 'bull' by the horns and did it. And of course - you moved. And well - it's short and pixieish. But cute. I figure it will grow out eventually.

On the movement front: All I can say is - WOW. You are trucking it. Your favorite mode of transport recently has been a truck. Its a 'push' or ride truck. And you jam on it. JAM.


In fact - 3 days ago you took your first steps WITHOUT THE TRUCK. Your daddy saw it. I didn't - but I have seen you standing by yourself - and that is quite amazing in itself. Of course the daycare told me Friday that you took 4 steps. FOUR. I was so sad I didn't get to see it - so I'm not counting it. Horrible of me - I know.

Of course it would be remiss of me not to mention another of your favorite games - and I call that game - "what's that?". It actually comes out as 'DAT' - but I understand what you are saying. You point or crawl over to the object in question and either tap it with your four fingers (more like trying to puncture it - but again - I get the drift) - or you pick it up and show it to me and say, "Dat?". I LOVE this game. Maybe that is why you like to play it so much. But you only play it with me - not Daddy. You have another game with daddy. That is the 'chase' game. You chase daddy or he chases you - all over the house on hands and knees. It is sooo cute.

I am also so proud of you on the sharing front. You get great joy from offering up your treasures to those around you - for which you then get a resounding THANK YOU! for. Maybe that is why you like to share - but I don't know. I just think you have a generous soul like that. Much like your daddy on that one.

You even tried to share your birthday cake with your step-cousin - it was so cute. And speaking of your birthday - and how could I NOT - seeing as you just turned one; it was a blowout of great proportion. A total of 46 people turned out to watch you eat cake for the first time. It was marvelous and joyful. And you LOVED all of the people there. You were a doll.


The party was actually on your daddy's birthday - seeing as it is the day before yours - but I don't think he minded sharing or actually giving up the day all together for you. You are daddy's little girl - through and through. BUT - you have gotten something from mommy - and that came from the 'mess' of eating cake.
It really stressed you out. You did NOT want to get dirty - and for that I am to blame and I am sorry. I don't let you get dirty enough - and we both know that. But I don't know - I am kinda ok with you not being a super messy kid. You are gentle and you listen when I say no. You don't go where you aren't supposed to go (most of the time) - and generally are an amazing kid. Now you are not perfec t-and no one is. You can be headstrong and willful and downright petulant at times. But that is part of your charm as well.

What else can I say about you that I haven't already said? You are the light of my life. The joy of your daddy's- and one helluva miracle.
Happy Birthday baby.
Love you,
Mom





No comments:
Post a Comment